Our payments from copyright licence fees are calculated using data sourced from sample surveys and other sources. We use the best data available to us, at a reasonable cost, about the copying and sharing of content under each of our licences.
We broadly categorise data for distribution as:
- transactional licence data (information about a licence for a single work)
- full records (information about each use under a ‘blanket’ licence)
- survey data (information about usage by samples of licensees): see here
- indicative data (information from other sources about content available to a licensee class)
Sources of indicative data currently used include:
- supply of digital press clippings
- library holdings provided by the TAFE sector
- library holdings and lendings collated and provided by the National Library
- sales data from Nielsen BookScan
- information from rightsholders about their published works, available for copying by licensees.