You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to be eligible.
We will consider supporting:
- Authors who have previously published at least two full-length books of their own creative writing (including plays professionally presented), in the following genres: fiction, literary non-fiction, children’s and young adult literature, poetry and writing for performance.
- Visual artists who have at least five years of professional experience with a minimum of five solo exhibitions in public and commercial galleries.
Applicants may submit one application per round to the Cultural Fund provided they have already acquitted any outstanding previous Cultural Fund grants.
You can apply for a grant for either $10,000, $15,000 or $20,000.
One funding round is held every year.
For deadlines and eligibility guidelines, click here.
I have published work in literary journals and magazines – am I eligible for a Create Grant?
If you have had two books published and work published in literary magazines and journals you may apply.
Can I apply for a Create Grant to write for an academic journal?
No. Create Grants support the creation of creative work and are not intended to support academics with scholarly or academic works that are for an academic audience.
Does writing a film script fall within the eligible category of creative writing?
No. Create Grants support creative writing and writing for performance (plays).
If two people are working on a collaboration, can we apply for one grant together?
Yes, two people can apply. However, it is preferable for you to nominate just one eligible person on the application form. The other applicant must also fulfil the eligibility requirements.
What do you mean by ‘mid-career’ artist?
We acknowledge NAVA’s definition of a mid-career artist which is someone who has comprehensive exhibition history (which can include commercial galleries, public galleries, state institutions and biennales and festivals) and who has been practising for more than 5 years.
What supporting material do I need to provide?
You must submit the following support material with your application as a PDF via the online system:
- A one page CV outlining your publication history
- A sample of your writing (up to 10 pages, preferably from your new work)
- A letter of endorsement from a publisher (this is optional)
- A one page CV outlining your exhibition history
- A sample of your work (up to 10 images, preferably from your new body of work)
- A letter of endorsement from a gallerist (this is optional)
What should be included in the letter of endorsement?
The purpose of the letter of endorsement is to signify to the panel of independent assessors that you are a mid-to-late career author and that Create funding would be appropriate and beneficial.