To be eligible to apply for the Author Fellowship, you must:
- have published at least five full-length works (of which two may be self-published).
- have a publishing contract or a letter of intent to publish from a publisher.
- Be aware that any books in production, that have not been published by the application deadline, are not eligible.
- submit your own applications. Publishers cannot apply on behalf of authors.
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Short fiction published in anthologies does not constitute a full-length book.
- If you haven’t published five books, consider instead our CREATE
Applicants may submit one application per round to the Cultural Fund provided they have already acquitted any overdue Cultural Fund grants.
One Author Fellowship of $80,000 is offered per year.
For deadlines, terms and conditions, or to apply click here.
Can self-published authors apply for a Fellowship?
Yes, provided you have had at least three books published by a traditional publisher. As the eligibility requirements call for a contract or letter of intent from a publisher to accompany your application, this letter must come from the publisher. If you are self-publishing your work you cannot write this letter.
I have a publisher interested, but no contract yet. Can I still apply for the Author Fellowship?
You can submit a strong letter of support from a publisher in lieu of a contract. Essentially, if you have a letter that says the publisher would be interested in publishing your manuscript once written, provided it still interests them and is of a publishable nature, then we are happy to accept this letter.
Are playwrights supported though the Author Fellowship?
Yes, playwrights are eligible to apply and will need to supply a letter from a theatre company confirming their play will be produced/presented.
What supporting material do I need to provide?
- A one-page synopsis of the proposed work
- A sample of your writing (up to five pages)
- Applicants must submit a one-page CV with a list of their published books
- Proof of a publishing contract or letter of intent to publish from a publisher
These files should be submitted as PDF files, with a 5MB limit per file.
Is the five-page sample of writing from the contracted work or can it be from other sources?
You can either send in a sample from the work you are writing if you are ready to show it to a reader; or a sample from a previously published work. It is up to you and depends on what stage you’re at with the proposed work.
Keep in mind that peers often find it helpful to read a sample of the intended work.