To be eligible to apply for the Fellowship for Non-Fiction Writing, you must:
- have previously published at least two full-length works of their own writing.
- have a publishing contract or a letter of intent to publish from the publisher.
- submit your own applications. Publishers cannot apply on behalf of authors.
- be Australian citizens or permanent residents.
Applicants may submit one application per funding round provided they have already acquitted any overdue Cultural Fund grants.
One Fellowship for Non-Fiction Writing of $80,000 is offered per year.
For deadlines, terms and conditions, or to apply click here.
What supporting material do I need to provide?
- A one-page synopsis of the proposed work
- A sample of your writing (up to five pages)
- A one-page CV with a list of their published books
- Proof of a publishing contract or letter of intent to publish from a publisher
These files should be submitted as PDF files, with a 5MB limit per file.
Is the five-page sample of writing from the contracted work under application, or can it be from another work?
You can either send in a sample from the work you are writing if you are ready to show it to a reader; or a sample from a previously published work. It is up to you and depends on what stage you’re at with the proposed work.
Keep in mind that peers often find it helpful to read a sample of the intended work.